- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
COLOGNE, Germany – News Corp.-controlled German pay TV group Sky Deutschland is targeting rabid fans of Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Entourage in Germany with the launch of its Sky Atlantic service in the territory.
Sky Atlantic, which bows in May this year in Germany, will offer English-language original versions of these and other HBO series, including The Wire and The Sopranos as well as films and other other highlights from HBO’s catalogue.
It is the first time several of these series will be available in English in the territory. It is also a frontal attack on Time Warner’s German pay channel TNT Serie, which currently airs Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and several other HBO shows.
The Sky Atlantic brand debuted on News Corp.’s U.K. pay platform BSkyB last year, where it is the exclusive British broadcaster for HBO series. BSkyB put up $235 million (£150 million) in a five-year exclusive output deal with the Time Warner-controlled pay TV group. Sky Deutschland is believed to have a signed a similar long-term output deal for its Sky Atlantic channel, though the company has not given details of the agreement.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day