- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Former The Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr has signed with Warner Music for the release of his first solo album, “The Messenger.”
The music giant will release the album on Feb. 25 in the U.K. via Warner Bros. Records. In the U.S., it will be released via Sire/ADA starting Feb. 26.
Since leaving The Smiths in 1987 amid a strained relationship with Morrissey, Marr has been a member of Electronic, The The, Modest Mouse, The Cribs and Johnny Marr and the Healers. Now, he is looking to bring out his first album on his own.
Born in the U.K., the Portland, Ore.-based Marr also composed music for the score of 2010 hit movie Inception.
About “The Messenger” Marr said: “The underlying idea of the record is my experience of growing up in Europe. When you’re away from your home city you’re more compelled to write about it, whether that’s because you’re homesick or you’ve got more objectivity, I don’t know.”
Marr, born John Martin Maher, had formed The Smiths with Morrissey in 1982 and recorded four albums with the band before they split.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day