- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Sony has set release dates for its third and fourth Amazing Spider-Man films, which hit theaters on June 10, 2016, and May 4, 2018, respectively.
The move sets the course for the marquee superhero franchise for the next five years. The threequel had been mentioned, but never a fourth film.
The Amazing-Spider Man 2, which will see Andrew Garfield return in the role of Peter Parker, is currently in production in New York and rolls out in theaters May 2, 2014.
“Spider-Man is our most important, most successful, and most beloved franchise,” said Sony Pictures vice chairman Jeff Blake, “so we’re thrilled that we are in a position to lock in these prime release dates over the next five years.”
Amazing Spider-Man 2 is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay by Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci and Jeff Pinkner, with a previous draft by James Vanderbilt, and based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.
In 2012, Amazing Spider-Man took in over $750 million at the worldwide box office.
The announcement came in the wake of the successful opening of Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures’ Man of Steel, which appears to have successfully resurrected the marquee Superman franchise.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day