- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Ever since winning an Oscar for best original screenplay for his 2013 feature film Her, Spike Jonze has rolled out a series of head-turning shorts for big brands, and he’s done so with name stars in front of the camera. There was FKA Twigs for Apple’s HomePod, Margaret Qualley for fashion house Kenzo and, most recently, Idris Elba for Squarespace.
Now, The Hollywood Reporter has learned that he’s taking his talents to the cannabis industry, courtesy of MedMen. According to a source, Jonze was on set last week in Los Angeles shooting a short film for the leading marijuana dispensary with Grey’s Anatomy star Jesse Williams along for the pot-focused ride.
Little is known about the short film aside from this basic plot: The project chronicles the history of cannabis in America from the pre-prohibition era through today. MedMen is often referred to as “the Apple of weed,” and the company maintains 19 licensed locations in California, New York, Nevada, Florida and Arizona, per its website.
Both Jonze and Williams are repped by CAA; the agency had no comment on the project. Williams is additionally repped by Headshell Management. The actor was recently in Park City for the Sundance Film Festival premiere of his indie Selah and the Spades.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day