- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Spike Lee is nearing his $1.25 million fundraising goal for his next film project.
As of Tuesday morning, the director’s Kickstarter campaign had hit the $1 million mark.
There are currently 4,566 backers of the project. Pledges range anywhere from $5 to $10,000. There are 4 people who have pledged the top amount, $10,000, which earns them a day on set during filming, and a day in the edit bay with Lee.
In mid-July, the Red Hook Summer director launched the campaign, asking people to help him raise $1.25 million dollars for his next film, which will be about people’s addiction to blood. “A lot of sex in it too,” adds Lee in a video on the site.
Lee, whose next film will be the remake of Oldboy, explained on his page that he wanted to work outside of the studio system, and that he won’t be taking a fee for the project.
“With the current climate in The Hollywood Studio System it’s not an encouraging look for Independent Filmmakers,” Lee states in the note on his Kickstarter page. “I’m not hating, just stating the facts. Super Heroes, Comic Books, 3D Special EFX, Blowing up the Planet Nine Times and Fly through the Air while Transforming is not my Thang.”
Lee’s campaign runs until Aug. 21.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day