- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Dear White People screenwriter Justin Simien won the Independent Spirit Award for the best first screenplay.
“I started writing this movie 10 years ago as an impulse, because I didn’t see my story out there in the culture,” Simien said. “I tried to put myself in the culture. That can be a difficult thing when along the way there’s nothing there telling you belong there. This means so much to me because I do feel like I belong in the culture.”
He encouraged those out there who do not seem them reflected in the culture to tell their stories.
He beat out fellow nominees Desiree Akhavan for Appropriate Behavior, Sara Colangelo for Little Accidents, Justin Lader for The One I Love, Anja Marquardt for She’s Lost Control.
The Independent Spirit Awards honors exclusively independent films, bringing together top Hollywood talent and independent filmmakers. Fred Armisen and Kristen Bell are co-hosting the 30th annual Film Independent Spirit Awards, broadcast live on IFC.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day