- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Fandango and Movie Tickets were among the sites crashing Monday as users tried to secure presale tickets for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
Tickets to director J.J. Abrams‘ highly anticipated film were made available for purchase Monday, hours earlier than anticipated. But some Fandango users got a “site maintenance” message after trying to click on a desired screening time.
“Something funny is definitely going on,” read a message on Fandango’s site. “We’re getting to the bottom of it.”
Similarly, some Movie Tickets’ users saw a screen reading “Web server is returning an unknown error,” while an Imax error screen blamed heavy traffic volume and directed users to Fandango and Movie Tickets. Imax had not yet begun to sell tickets, waiting until a new trailer for the film aired during halftime of ESPN’s Monday Night Football.
A Fandango rep did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
The film, which stars Oscar Isaac, Daisy Ridley and John Boyega, opens in theaters Dec. 18.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day