- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Stephen K. Friedman has been promoted to president of MTV, Van Toffler, the president of MTV Networks Music & Logo group, announced Wednesday.
Friedman has been general manager since fall of 2008.
He’ll oversee MTV, MTV2, mtvU, MTV.com, MTV Hits and MTV Jams.
“Since Stephen took over the helm at MTV 2 ½ years ago, he has done an incredible job helping spearhead the reinvention of the MTV brand for millenials,” Toffler says in a statement. “He has always placed the audience first, whether it’s creating a new pro-social campaign or leading the charge at mtvU and now MTV, his instincts and thinking have always led us to tap into exactly what the audience is looking for, resulting in great creative and business success.”
During Friedman’s tenure, MTV has earned five consecutive quarters of growth, and launched shows such as Teen Mom, 16 & Pregnant, Life as Liz and the upcoming Teen Wolf.
Friedman was GM of mtvU, which he helped launch in 2004, before becoming general manager of MTV. He joined the net in 2998 to found MTV’s Strategic Partnerships and Public Affairs department.
He’ll be based at Viacom’s New York City office, and report to Toffler.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day