- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Storm Chasers star Matt Hughes died May 26 in Kansas at 30 — but the news was not widely publicized until his last episode aired on the Discovery Channel Wednesday night.
Hughes, who also worked as a meteorologist on Wichita’s ABC affiliate KAKE-TV, committed suicide. He is survived by his wife, Kendra, and two sons, Collin and Hunter. More than 500 people attended his funeral.
Hughes’ friend and former colleague wrote on KAKE-TV’s website in June: “Matt Hughes was taken to the hospital after trying to take his life. Matt was in the hospital for several days in intensive care, there was a 24 hour vigil outside the waiting room, family, other chasers, business associates, etc. I knew we were going to lose him. What a lot of us didn’t know was that he suffered from depression.”
Hughes’ episode, entitled “Dedication,” followed him on his final storm chase. Discovery called it the “best tornado intercept ever.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day