- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Netflix has acquired the worldwide SVOD rights to the horror film Under the Shadow.
The film is set in 1988 Tehran, and follows Shideh as she attempts to rejoin medical school after getting married and having daughter Dorsa. When her husband is sent off to serve in the Iran-Iraq War, she is left alone with Dorsa after neighbors and friends flee from the city as Iraqi air raids draw perilously close to their own apartment, and her daughter becomes increasingly ill and seemingly disturbed.
First-time writer-director Babak Anvari helmed the feature, which is entirely in Farsi. Narges Rashidi stars in the project.
The film is produced by Lucan Toh, Oliver Roskill and Emily Leo of Wigwam Films.
The streaming service acquired the film ahead of its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival, where it will screen in the Midnight section.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day