- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This Super Bowl, we’re not exactly rooting for any team in particular (our beloved Chicago Bears are out of the race, after all). But regardless of who takes home Sunday’s game, one thing is certain at the top of the first half — Joe Namath’s pimp coat has already won.
The NFL legend (and former New York jets quarterback) first busted out his signature long, furry beast coat in the ’70s, when he would routinely sit on the sidelines in said outerwear and bitchin’ bell bottoms. The flashy Hall of Famer’s coat became such a thing, in fact, that it inspired the NFL to ban any off-brand apparel by league personnel during games.
Fur isn’t the only style signature sported by the QB. He also earned the nickname “Joe Willie Whiteshoes” for a love of white low-tops instead of black high-tops on the field. During his time, his swagger was also enhanced by having dated Hollywood bombshell Raquel Welch as well as appearing in Noxema commercials with Farrah Fawcett.
Though the coat is really nothing new, the fact that Namath busted it out for Super Bowl XLVIII is nothing short of badass. And for that, we commend him.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day