- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Twenty-two years after Thelma & Louise, Susan Sarandon is readying her bags for another road trip, this one of a comedic sort.
McCarthy co-wrote the raunchy script with husband Ben Falcone, who is directing. Will Ferrell and Adam McKay are producing, along with McCarthy. Kevin Messick, Chris Henchy, Falcone and Rob Cowan are executive producing.
The story centers on a woman who is laid off from her job at a fast food restaurant, discovers her husband is having an affair and decides to go on a road trip with her alcoholic, foul-mouthed, diabetic grandmother.
Shirley MacLaine was previously in talks to star as the grandmother, but a deal never took.
Bates, meanwhile, will play the grandmother’s lesbian friend who saves the duo from some bad spots.
For ICM Partners-repped Sarandon, who has five Oscar nominations and one win, the part is a chance to show off her comedic side. The actress has done comedy before, New Line’s Mr. Woodcock and 30 Rock come to mind, but Tammy promises to really let the actress, who just appeared in the Dwayne Johnson action vehicle Snitch, get down and dirty.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day