- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
New Line unleashed the first trailer for Tag, a comedy based on a 2013 Wall Street Journal article about a group of friends who have been competing in the playground game for 30 years.
The trailer’s opening scene — Ed Helms attempting to tag Jeremy Renner at his wedding just after a pastor says “You may kiss the bride” — is one of the many instances (others include childbirth and a funeral) that shows how cutthroat the game is.
The game seemed to get intense in real life, too. While filming Tag, Renner broke both of his arms. In July, the actor confirmed the injury but wouldn’t reveal where the accident occurred. However, he later admitted the incident happened on the set of Tag.
The ensemble cast includes Jon Hamm, Annabelle Wallis, Hannibal Buress, Jake Johnson and Isla Fisher.
The trailer footage goes on to reveal that it’s Renner’s character, the champion of the game, that wants to stop playing. The friends have one last chance to tag the untaggable.
The comedy was written by Mark Steilen and Rob McKittrick and directed by Jeff Tomsic.
Tag hits theaters June 15.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day