- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO — Many people were left scratching their heads Monday night at the North American premiere of Terrence Malick‘s sixth feature, To the Wonder — and not only after the hard-to-decipher film started playing.
Malick is a notorious recluse, so it wasn’t surprising that he was not present for the premiere. But his wife, Alexandra “Ecky” Wallace — his high school sweetheart and third wife — was, and she introduced the film at the Toronto International Film Festival in a most bizarre way: “My husband sends salutes to the men and hugs to the women. We love Canada, and, in fact, we thought about becoming Canadian citizens after 9/11. We have much to learn from you.”
Wallace’s statement came on the eve of the 11th anniversary of the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington, D.C., that killed 3,000 people.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day