- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
This is the first in a new weekly series in which The Hollywood Reporter will break down the most popular trailers of the week.
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues nabbed nearly 7 million trailer views on YouTube and came in No. 1 in THR‘s first-ever Trailer Report, a recurring feature that tracks movie trailer views on the platform. Peter Jackson‘s The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug roared to the No. 2 spot with 6.5 million views; The Lego Movie trailer earned 5.5 million views; Martin Scorsese‘s The Wolf of Wall Street came in fourth with 5.3 million views; and 300: Rise of an Empire rounded out the top five with 4.7 million plays.
Though Anchorman 2 took the crown for the week, trailers for Peter Jackson‘s films have always been popular. But sometimes it’s not simply the launch of a trailer itself that creates all the buzz. With the first look at Desolation of Smaug, a fan reaction video and a subsequent video of castmembers watching that fan reaction video fueled the viral fervor for the trailer.
Today, especially as a result of their accessibility on YouTube and everywhere online, movie trailers are regarded as the most important assets in any studio marketing campaign. And the Trailer Report will be here to track them every week.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
the hollywood reporter