- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Tim Burton is coming on board to direct Big Eyes, a drama from the Weinstein Co. based on the relationship between Walter and Margaret Keane, THR has confirmed.
The drama in the script by Larry Karaszewski and Scott Alexander centers on a decades-long dispute between the two after their 1965 divorce over who actually painted the pictures.
Walter Keane compared himself to lofty painters such as Rembrandt, slighting Margaret who then asked for a “paint off.” A years-long court battle ensued with a judge finally ordering the two to paint in court. Walter lost and had to pay millions, although he continued to say he was the originator.
For Burton, Eyes will reteam him with the writers of one of his most acclaimed movies, Ed Wood. Karaszewsi and Alexander initially were going to direct the project in a version that would have seen Ryan Reynolds and Reese Witherspoon starring but financing and scheduling never gelled. (Burton was always involved as a producer.)
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day