- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros. has preemptively picked up Worst Tinder Date Ever, an original romantic comedy pitch from writers Keith Merryman and David A. Newman.
Denise Di Novi and Alison Greenspan will produce via their Warners-based shingle.
The rom-com with action elements centers on two people in Los Angeles that go on a Tinder date that spirals into a night of one disaster after disaster — and, of course, they fall for one another in the process.
Niija Kuykendall and Julia Spiro are overseeing for the studio. Sources say part of the inspiration for the project was one of Spiro’s own bad dates.
Sources say the deal was in the high six figures.
Merryman and Newman know a thing or two about rom-coms, having scripted three this decade: the 2011 Justin Timberlake-Mila Kunis hit Friends With Benefits and the 2012 and 2014 installments of the Think Like a Man franchise.
The duo recently wrote Lionsgate’s remake of the family comedy Instructions Not Included, the highest-grossing Spanish-language film ever released in the U.S. They also have revenge comedy The Ex Games set up at CBS Films.
Merryman and Newman are repped by APA, Writ Large and SMGSB.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day