- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The TLC Toddlers and Tiaras controversy train keeps on rolling.
One week after an episode of the show, which featured a 4-year old wearing fake breasts and butt-pads to be dressed as Dolly Parton, caused viewer and critical outrage (and forced TLC to take down its Facebook wall because of negative feedback), the Parents Television Council issued a scathing statement about another segment on the show.
TLC has been airing a promo spot that shows a young girl channeling Julia Roberts’ prostitute character in Pretty Woman.
“We have a serious problem when The Learning Channel features a toddler, who probably hasn’t even learned to read, dressed as a prostitute showing off her sexy strut,” Melissa Henson, director of communications and public education for the PTC tells The Hollywood Reporter.
“There’s no question, TV executives are complicit in robbing these small kids of their childhood,” she continues. “For years we’ve seen adults sexuality being inappropriately and aggressively foisted on innocent young children, but children today are being sexualized at younger and younger ages. All available data suggests they will suffer for it later in life.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day