- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
“This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family,” Holmes’ attorney, Jonathan Wolfe, said in a statement, first given to People magazine. “Katie’s primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter’s best interest.”
Cruise’s rep, Amanda Lunberg, said in a statement: “Kate has filed for divorce, and Tom is deeply saddened and is concentrating on his three children. Please allow them their privacy to work this out.”
The actor and actress were married in a star-studded Italian wedding in November 2006 and have a 6-year-old daughter named Suri. Cruise previously was married to actress Nicole Kidman from 1990-2001 and actress Mimi Rogers from 1987-90. Holmes is 16 years his junior; she previously was engaged to actor Chris Klein.
Holmes is perhaps best known for her lead role in the teen drama Dawson’s Creek, while Cruise has toplined a long list of hit films. His most recent effort, the ’80s hair-metal musical Rock of Ages, struggled at the box office, though the December release Mission: Impossible — Ghost Protocol proved a massive hit. He next will be seen as the title character in Jack Reacher, the big-screen adaptation of the action novel One Shot.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day