- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The latest installment of Santiago Segura’s politically incorrect cop franchise, Torrente 5: Mission Eurovegas set an opening weekend high for the 2014 Spanish box office, grossing €3.7 million ($4.65 million) in its opening weekend.
That opening weekend record displaces Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, which previously held the top post in 2014, with €3.44 million ($4.64 million) the weekend of July 18.
The fifth installment of the Torrente franchise, which features a Mafioso-style Alec Baldwin, took half the weekend box-office receipts in Spain and landed an impressive spot at No. 16 on the worldwide charts based on only one territory.
Torrente 5 is written and directed by Segura, who also stars in the role that has made him a social phenomenon in Spain. Segura’s Amiguetes Entertainment produced the $10.7 million film, with Telefonica Studios, Atresmedia Cine, Ono and Canal Plus Spain. Sony Pictures Releasing Spain is handling theatrical in Spain.
In Torrente 5, the crooked cop gets out of jail in 2018 to find a different Spain from the one he knew.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day