- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
COLOGNE, Germany – A German culture clash comedy – Turkish For Beginners – has knocked a French one – The Intouchables – off the top spot in the German box office charts.
Turkish For Beginners, a teen rom-com based on a hit local sitcom, earned some $3.5 million in its opening weekend to take top spot for distributor Constantin Film. It was the best opening for a film in Germany this year.
Turkish managed what a string of Hollywood releases haven’t, namely knocking French comedy smash The Intouchables out of the top slot here. The Gallic laffer, about the friendship between rich paraplegic white man and his black ex-con caregiver, has spent nine weeks at number one in Germany.
Turkish For Beginners pushed Intouchables down a notch, but the French film still took in more than $2 million in its 11th week in release. The Intouchables has earned upwards of $63 million so far in Germany, more than Walt Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean – On Stranger Tides.
Turkish for Beginners and The Intouchables easily held off the attack from Disney’s latest would-be tentpole. The 3D sci-fi epic John Carter took in $1.88 million for a third place finish. Carter has earned about $5.1 million in Germany as it enters its third week in release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day