- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The director’s latest space epic took $10.2m from 1,378 screens, making it also the biggest U.K. opening for a Matt Damon-starring film.
Scott’s achievement ended Working Title’s two-week hold on the first and second positions, with the U.K. production house’s Everest (with Universal) slipping from first to third with $1.3 million for a 17-day total of $13.2 million.
The Tom Hardy-starring crime biopic Legend held on to number two, taking a further $1.6 million for a four-week tally of $23.3 million, making it StudioCanal’s third-biggest U.K. release of all time, behind Paddington ($57.5 million) and The Imitation Game ($24.9 million).
The Intern narrowly managed to pip Macbeth for the crown of second-highest new entry, taking $1.15 million, compared with $1.13 million.
In sixth place, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials closed in on the original film’s $13.5 million, taking an extra $900,000 for a four-week total of $12 million.
Inside Out clung to the last spot in the top 10 after 11 weeks for a gross of $57.8 million.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day