- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Universal has acquired the pitch for a historical drama about Queen Amanirenas, titled Warrior Queen.
Mark Rosenthal (Tim Burton’s Planet of the Apes, Mercury Rising) will pen the feature, which will follow the young African monarch who ruled over the wealthy Kush Kingdom of Nubia and successfully led her army into battle against the invading Roman Empire, forcing them to withdraw.
Will Packer is attached to produce via his Universal-based Will Packer productions, along with the company’s head of motion pictures, James Lopez. Universal’s vp of production, Sara Scott, will oversee the project for the studio.
Packer had previously worked with Rosenthal on the recent History Channel remake of Roots.
The mega-producer is next set to release the Queen Latifah comedy Girls Trip via Universal, and is in the works on Ride Along 3 with the studio.
Packer is repped by CAA and Ziffren Brittenham. Rosenthal is represented by UTA.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day