- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The project, which Sierra/Affinity unveiled at the European Film in Berlin last month, is a new take on the Las Vegas-set crime story of the same name from 1986. The original starred Burt Reynolds. Two-time Oscar-winning screenwriter William Goldman (All the President’s Men) who wrote the original film based on his novel of the same name, will revise his 1986 screenplay for the new feature.
Statham will play an ex-mercenary and recovering gambling addict who gets by as a bodyguard in a casino on the Vegas strip. When his ex-girlfriend Holly is raped and badly beaten by a mobster, he swears revenge.
Steven Chasman (Bank Job) is producing, together with Statham. Heat is set to begin shooting in France late this year.
Universum will release the film theatrically in Germany with sister company RTL taking TV rights in the territory.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day