- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MIAMI (AP) — Talk-show host Rodner Figueroa was fired from Univision after saying that Michelle Obama looked like someone from the cast of Planet of the Apes.
Figueroa, who’s known for his biting fashion commentary, made his remarks during a live segment of the show El Gordo y la Flaca in which the hosts were commenting on a viral video that shows a makeup artist transforming himself into different celebrities, including Michelle Obama.
“Well, watch out, you know that Michelle Obama looks like she’s from the cast of Planet of the Apes, the movie,” said Figueroa, 42, with a giggle.
When hostess Lili Estefan countered with, “What are you saying?” and host Raul De Molina said Obama was very attractive, Figueroa defended his remark, saying: “But it is true.”
In a statement, Univision called Figueroa’s comments “completely reprehensible” and said they “in no way reflect the values or opinions of Univision.”
Figueroa, who in 2014 won a Daytime Emmy Award, did not respond to requests for comment Thursday. He worked for Univision for 17 years and had been on El Gordo y la Flaca since 2000.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day