- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Valentino most recently hired Richardson to photograph its resort 2018 campaign ads, which were unveiled on the Italian fashion house’s Instagram account last week. Though Richardson was initially given photo credit on the posts, his name has since been removed following online backlash, according to The Cut.
On Tuesday, a Valentino spokesperson issued the following statement to The Hollywood Reporter: “Valentino’s last campaign with photographer Terry Richardson was shot in July 2017 — there are no plans on a future campaign and of course take these allegations against Terry Richardson seriously.”
The luxury label’s decision comes on the heels of The Telegraph‘s report, which revealed that James Woolhouse, Conde Nast International’s chief executive vice president and COO, sent an internal email that read, “Conde Nast would like to no longer work with the photographer Terry Richardson.” He added that any work already commissioned by the photographer should be “killed or substituted with other material.”
Conde Nast International’s portfolio includes both international and American editions of Vogue, GQ, Vanity Fair, Glamour, W and Teen Vogue.
“Conde Nast has nothing planned with him going forward. Sexual harassment of any kind is unacceptable and should not be tolerated,” a representative from Conde Nast U.S. said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter. Conde Nast International did not immediately return request for comment.
In response to Conde Nast International’s decision, a rep for Richardson told Buzzfeed News: “Terry is disappointed to hear about this email especially because he has previously addressed these old stories. He is an artist who has been known for his sexually explicit work so many of his professional interactions with subjects were sexual and explicit in nature, but all of the subjects of his work participated consensually.”
Richardson, 52, has long been accused of sexual harassment and assault by a number of models over the years. Despite the allegations, he has continued to work with titles including V Magazine, GQ and Dazed, and brands such as Versace and Supreme. He’s also photographed many high-profile figures, including Lady Gaga, Miley Cyrus and Jared Leto.
Since the Harvey Weinstein scandal unfolded, models have come forward to speak against the inappropriate sexual advances in the fashion industry. Labor advocacy group Model Alliance also called on the industry to have zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
On Monday, New York State Assemblywoman Nily Rozic introduced legislation that aims to protect models against harassment.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day