- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Hurt, 75, said in a statement that he was undergoing treatment and both he and his doctors were optimistic. He added that he will continue to work despite his diagnosis and is set to record a radio play, Jeffrey Bernard Is Unwell, for BBC Radio 4.
In a long and illustrious career, Hurt was nominated for an Oscar for his performance in Midnight Express as well as for his portrayal of Joseph Merrick in David Lynch‘s classic The Elephant Man. His most memorable role for many, however, was in Ridley Scott’s Alien, when his character, Kane, suffers the misfortune of an alien bursting out of his stomach.
Hurt has also starred in 1984, V for Vendetta and the Hellboy franchise. Recently, Hurt has starred in Doctor Who as the War Doctor as well as movies such as Harry Potter, Immortals, Hercules, Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and Snowpiercer. Hurt is set to appear in Warner Bros.’ Tarzan, which is set for a 2016 release.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day