- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Here’s your chance to meet Shrek, as voiced by Chris Farley.
Footage of the late actor voicing the Dreamworks character surfaced online and circulated via Reddit after Yahoo interviewed his brother, Kevin Farley, who appears in and executive-produced the new documentary I Am Chris Farley.
The Saturday Night Live star was originally cast as the title in the 2001 animated film, and had recorded the majority of his lines before he died of a drug overdose in 1997. Afterward, the main character was retooled with Mike Myers, who gave him a Scottish accent.
“Originally, the Shrek character was a little bit more like Chris, like a humble, bumbling innocent guy,” said Kevin, who attributes the recasting to Dreamworks‘ franchise plans. “The studio needed to do what they needed to do. It was a bad time, bad timing … a tragedy. Mike did a great job with Shrek. He knocked it out of the park.”
I Am Chris Farley airs on Aug. 10 at 9 p.m. ET/PT on Spike.
Watch the video below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day