- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The video shows an unseen man delivering the news to Elmo in a nondescript room. Elmo doesn’t take the news well, complaining that he’s worked at Sesame Street for 32 years. He also wonders what’s going to happen to his medical insurance, given that he has a preexisting condition.
“Elmo, the Trump administration is getting all arts and education funding from the new Congressional budget,” says the man.
Elmo responds by saying, “But Elmo’s rent just went up!” and “But Elmo hasn’t been unemployed since the ‘80s!” He then sadly adds, “Elmo’s only real talent is being Elmo.”
The man suggests Elmo take pictures with tourists in New York’s Times Square for his next job. And when Elmo still doesn’t understand, the man suggests he contact President Donald Trump.
“Donald Grump?” Elmo asks.
Elmo isn’t the only Sesame Street character laid off in the scenario, the man mentions Cookie Monster and Telly have also been let go.
Trump’s proposed budget seeks to eliminate funding for the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, which helps fund PBS.
The video, which so far has 11 million views, ends with a prompt to support PBS. Watch below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day