- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Video footage has reportedly surfaced of Jay Z being physically attacked by his wife Beyonce‘s sister, Solange Knowles, in an elevator at the Standard Hotel in New York following the Met Gala on May 5.
The surveillance video obtained by TMZ shows the woman believed to be Solange entering the elevator and immediately confronting the man believed to be Jay Z when he strolls in behind her.
After a few seconds, Solange begins shoving Jay Z, and when she is restrained by another man, believed to be a bodyguard, she tries kicking the rapper. The man believed to be Jay Z says something back at her, but does not attempt to retaliate physically. The woman believed to be Beyonce is standing next to Jay Z and does not get involved in the altercation.
Reps for Jay Z and Solange did not immediately respond to Billboard‘s request for comment. Although the faces in the elevator cannot be identified, the outfits that the people are wearing — a white suit with a black bowtie, and a light-colored gown — clearly resemble what Jay Z and Solange were wearing at the Met Gala last week.
It is unclear what caused the altercation, as the surveillance footage did not contain audio.
Last month, Solange was joined by Beyonce onstage at Coachella during her performance, while Jay Z stopped by Nas‘ set as a guest star at the festival. Solange recently announced that her next album, which follows her critically acclaimed 2012 EP True, is due out this fall.
In a statement, the Standard confirmed that the video was taken from one of their elevators and said it is investigating the security breach.
“We are shocked and disappointed that there was a clear breach of our security system and the confidentiality that we count on providing our guests,” the hotel said in the statement obtained by The Hollywood Reporter. “We are investigating with the utmost urgency the circumstances surrounding the situation and, as is our customary practice, will discipline and prosecute the individuals involved to our fullest capacity.”
The Metropolitan Museum of Art has not yet responded to THR‘s request for comment.
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day