- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Renee Fleming helped kick off this year’s Super Bowl with an operatic rendition of the national anthem.
The opera singer — wearing a custom-designed black Vera Wang long-sleeve gown with pleated accent at the waist and an ivory wrap coat — opened the show before the big game between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Sunday. A chorus comprising members of the armed forces aided the soprano during her performance.
Fleming, a four-time Grammy winner, is the first opera singer to perform the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Recent performers included pop and country singers such as Alicia Keys (2013), Kelly Clarkson (2012), Christina Aguilera (2011) and Carrie Underwood (2010).
Before Fleming hit the stage, Queen Latifah opened the show with a performance of “America the Beautiful.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
Jamie Lee Curtis