- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
The car maker’s Super Bowl ad last year was called “The Force” and featured a boy dressed like Darth Vader to promote the company’s Passat. It was the most-watched Super Bowl spot on YouTube last year and the most-watched ad of any kind on the Google video site in 2011, according to the Times.
This year, Volkswagen is promoting the 2012 Beetle during the Super Bowl. “Given the momentum and interest, it made the most sense to tap into the equity of last year,” Tim Mahoney, chief product and marketing officer at Volkswagen of America, told the Times.
Not interested in making a sequel though, viewers will not see “the little boy coming back,” he explained. Instead, the commercial is about a determined dog named Bolt and its quest, which involves a Beetle. The Star Wars content in the spot includes a recreation of the famous cantina scene from the film.
A teaser video for this year’s ad online, entitled “The Bark Side,” sees a dog chorus performing Darth Vader’s theme.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day