- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Chesley “Sully” Sullenberger is portrayed by Tom Hanks in Clint Eastwood’s tale, Sully. And to repay the favor, Sullenberger donned his own wig to bring his acting talents to Jimmy Kimmel’s Tom Hanks biopic.
Hanks and Sullenberger appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live! on Thursday to chat about the new film, but first, Kimmel “felt it was time that somebody pay tribute to your life and your career.” So he surprised the actor with his “$80 million” project, Hanks.
The short film stars Sullenberger as Hanks, from his first audition (“I’m Tom Hanks and I’m gonna be a big movie star!”) through some of his biggest projects: Forrest Gump, Castaway (“I’m stuck on an island and my only friend is a ball! Why?!”), Peter Scolari even makes a cameo for his Bosom Buddies days.
But nothing compares to the pilot’s dramatic take on Apollo 13: “Houston, we have a problem. A space problem.”
Hanks was surprised, but hard to impress. “Chesley Sullenberger, I used to have such respect for you. Now we both have checkered careers.”
Watch the video below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day