- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
If you lived through the ’80s, you’ll remember “We Are the World” was just about the biggest number of them all. Featuring a “Dream Team” of pop stars, the song dropped in 1985 to shine a light on famine in Africa.
Written by Lionel Richie and the late Michael Jackson, the charity single ruled the Billboard Hot 100 for four successive weeks after its release, while an all-star Artists for Haiti remake in 2010 was also a hit.
On Sunday night during the American Idol finale, Richie assembled an all-star Idol lineup for a lockdown-era rendition of the tune.
Joined by his fellow judges, Richie led a cast that included 2020 winner Just Sam, Alejandro Aranda aka Scarypoolparty, Fantasia, Gabby Barrett, Jordin Sparks, Katharine McPhee, Kellie Pickler, Laine Hardy, Lauren Alaina, Phillip Phillips, Ruben Studdard and Scotty McCreery.
This time around, the performers’ images were beamed onto famous landmarks, with empty streets below.
Watch the full performance, below.
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day