- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Wayne Gretzky has signed with IMG, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Meanwhile, WME, which acquired the sports powerhouse earlier this year, has signed Gretzky’s wife, Janet Gretzky, an actress and producer.
With 2,857 regular-season points, Wayne Gretzky remains the top scorer in NHL history and was named MVP nine times, more than any other player in the league. The Great One won four Stanley Cups with the Edmonton Oilers before going on to play for the St. Louis Blues, the New York Rangers and, of course, the Los Angeles Kings, with whom he spent eight seasons. Upon retiring in 1999 he was immediately inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, and his No. 99 jersey is the only one to be retired league-wide.
IMG previously repped Gretzky in the late 1980s and ‘90s. U.S.-based agent Ira Stahlberger and his Canadian counterpart Sam Galet will head up a team that will help manage his marketing, endorsement, licensing, speaking, broadcasting and business opportunities in the hockey world and beyond.
Janet Gretzky recently appeared in James Franco’s adaptation of William Faulkner’s The Sound and the Fury as well as Palo Alto, the screen adaptation of his short story collection. WME will work with her to develop film and television projects.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day