- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Kansas-based hate group the Westboro Baptist Church is threatening to picket the funeral of Cory Monteith, the star of Fox’s Glee, who was discovered dead on Saturday in his Vancouver hotel room.
The group has issued dozens of hateful, anti-LGBT tweets since learning of Monteith’s shocking death at age 31. The tweets, which tag the Twitter accounts of Monteith’s Glee co-stars, celebrate his death.
“PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY for killing Cory Monteith — a wicked f-g-enabling sinner!” reads one. “Westboro Baptist Church to picket this funeral.”
The group stages outrageous protests geared toward maximum shock value and publicity, regularly showing up at the funerals of fallen servicemen, celebrities and innocent crime victims. Westboro did not follow through with recent pledges to picket the funerals of Roger Ebert, the child victims of Newtown and the Boston bombing victims, however.
“This shameful and vile display of hatred won’t overshadow the kindness and compassion Cory displayed in his unwavering commitment to equality for all,” GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz tells The Hollywood Reporter. “Our thoughts remain with his family, cast members and friends during this difficult time.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day