- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Tina Fey is a TV reporter on the ground in Afghanistan in the Whiskey Tango Foxtrot trailer, primarily because she’s considered “unmarried, childless personnel” at her cable news network.
“I just wanted out of my job. I wanted out of my mildly depressive boyfriend, just wanted to blow everything up,” says the Sisters star as Kim Barker. Or, as one Kabul local puts it, “the most American white-lady story I’ve ever heard.”
The trailer for the Paramount dramedy — directed by Glenn Ficarra and John Requa (Crazy, Stupid, Love.) and adapted by Fey’s longtime collaborator Robert Carlock from the real-life Barker’s 2011 memoir The Taliban Shuffle: Strange Days in Afghanistan and Pakistan — soon shows Fey learning the local ways from Christopher Abbott, brainstorming story ideas with Billy Bob Thornton and shooting guns with Alfred Molina.
In the meantime, she lives with fellow journalists Martin Freeman and Margot Robbie. “So nice to have another woman in the house. In Afghanistan, you’re a serious piece of ass. In New York, you’re a six, seven. Here, you’re a nine, borderline 10,” says Robbie, who is, therefore, a 15? “Yeah.”
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot hits theaters March 4, 2016. Watch the trailer below.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day