- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Unless you’re an avid Suits fan, Meghan Markle is likely a name you haven’t heard much before. However, that’s about to change, thanks to her engagement to Prince Harry of Wales.
Prince Harry, 33, — who has been known to date willowy blondes including Cressida Bonas and Chelsy Davy — and Markle, 36, began dating last year.
So who is Markle? We’ve put together a cheat sheet of everything you need to know about the American who wooed Harry.
1. Her resume includes work as an actress, a model, a humanitarian and a freelance calligrapher.
Though she’s best known for her role as Rachel on USA’s hit drama, Suits, Markle is also an active humanitarian. In addition to working with United Nations Women as an advocate for the HeForShe campaign, she also joined World Vision Canada as an ambassador in 2016. Her most recent work included a trip to Rwanda to work on the Clean Water Campaign.
Before she became an actress, Markle worked as a model; in between acting jobs, she supported herself as a freelance calligrapher. She also describes herself on her Instagram bio as a “lover of handwritten notes.” Maybe that’s how he wooed her.
2. Markle is the founder of the now defunct blog The Tig.
Markle founded The Tig — named after the Italian wine, Tignanello — as a “hub for the discerning palate” in 2014. In addition to writing about fashion, beauty, travel and food, she also wrote about her humanitarian work. Markle shuttered the blog in April of this year.
3. She attended Wimbledon in 2016.
We all know how much the royals love Wimbledon.
4. She’s a graduate of Northwestern University.
The 35-year-old graduated from Northwestern University in 2003 with a degree from the School of Communications. According to her Wiki page, she was a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority.
5. She’s been married before.
Markle was married to film producer Trevor Engelson for two years. The pair began dating in 2004 and married in 2011, before splitting up in 2013.
6. She grew up around the entertainment industry.
Markle, who was raised in Los Angeles, reportedly spent many years of her childhood on the set of Married… With Children, where her father was a photography director.
7. She’s dabbled in fashion.
Markle recently debuted a five-piece workwear capsule collection in collaboration with Canadian retailer Reitman’s.
8. She’s talked politics with Justin Trudeau and fashion with Serena Williams.
And she Instagrammed the proof.
A post shared by Meghan Markle (@meghanmarkle) on
9. She’s biracial and recently wrote an essay for Elle UK describing her experience as a mixed race actress.
Markle’s mother is African American and her father is Caucasian. As an actress, she found auditions to be difficult because casting directors were often looking for women of a specific ethnicity. However, she calls her Suits role the “goldilocks role” because there wasn’t a specific ethnicity tied to the character Rachel.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day
State of the Union