- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
During her opening remarks, Goldberg confirmed reports that she had been away because her brother, Clyde K. Johnson, had died.
The View had said in a tweet last Tuesday that Goldberg was “with her family.”
“My brother, Clyde Johnson, was an amazing cat,” said Goldberg on Tuesday’s show, displaying a photo of her with him at their mother’s memorial service at Disneyland.
After Goldberg talked about her experience dealing with the loss of her brother, co-host Rosie Perez took a minute to welcome her back.
“We are all so dearly sorry for your loss and to your family. But I just want to make a statement, here. You are truly the captain of this ship, and we missed you,” said Perez.
She and her fellow co-hosts gave Goldberg a standing ovation, and Goldberg appeared to be fighting back tears.
“Well, I love that,” said Goldberg.
“So, nobody read the Vanity Fair article,” she added to laughs from her co-hosts, referencing a story posted online last week about backstage drama at the ABC talk show.
As Goldberg transitioned to the day’s “Hot Topics,” she said: “This is for you, big C.J.”
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day