- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Will.i.am and Black Eyed Peas bandmate apl.de.ap returned to the stage in Beijing Saturday night in support of study abroad programs for underprivileged American students, in a concert that also featured multiple Grammy winner John Legend along with Chinese pop stars.
The “Booey Lehoo” show, organized by Americans Promoting Study Abroad, with backing from the U.S. State Dept. and the Jackie Chan Charitable Foundation, opened with a performance by will.i.am, before he was followed by China’s Sa Dingding and her ethnic pop.
She was followed by a five-song set by Legend, who ended with a duet with Beijing-born, U.S.-raised Shunzi, who was later joined by Coco Lee, herself born in Hong Kong but grew up in San Francisco. Both Shunzi and Lee made their names singing in Mandarin Chinese.
Apl.de.ap did three songs before being joined by will.i.am for a Black Eyed Peas-led set that saw Lee playing the Fergie role. The will.i.am set finally got a rise out of the crowd, which filled less than half of the National Indoor Stadium’s 18,000 seats.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day