- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Jacob Tremblay has debuted as Auggie Pullman in the first trailer for Lionsgate’s Wonder.
Directed by Stephen Chbosky, the Lionsgate adaptation of the R.J. Palacio novel stars the Room breakout as a young boy with facial differences who attends school for the first time as a fifth grader at Beecher Prep, a private school.
The trailer introduces Auggie’s family (played by Julia Roberts and Owen Wilson) and faculty (Mandy Patinkin and Daveed Diggs), and previews his first tour of the school, during which he wears an astronaut’s helmet to protect himself from bullies’ insults. But once he’s enrolled, he faces them head-on.
“Look at his face! I’ve never seen anything that ugly in my life,” says one boy, while a classmate teases on Halloween, “If I look like him, I swear I’d put a hood over my face.” Still, Wilson as his father encourages, “I know you don’t always like it but I love it — that’s my son’s face,” and Roberts as his mother says, “You are not ugly,…because I’m your mom, it counts the most, because I know you the most.”
Wonder hits theaters Nov. 17.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day