- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Into the Woods, Disney’s adaptation of the Broadway musical, will feature a brand-new song from composer Stephen Sondheim, the studio announced Monday.
The film, currently shooting in studio and on location throughout England, is directed by Rob Marshall and features a star-studded cast that includes Meryl Streep, Emily Blunt, Anna Kendrick, Chris Pine and Johnny Depp.
Into the Woods is based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales, combining the tales of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel with an original story involving a baker and his wife.
Along with Sondheim’s new song, the film will feature music from the stage musical, including “Children Will Listen,” “Giants in the Sky,” “On the Steps of the Palace,” “No One Is Alone” and “Agony,” among others. (Sondheim had previously told THR he would be working on new material for the film.)
Produced by Marshall, John DeLuca, Marc Platt and Callum McDougall, Into the Woods is slated for a Dec. 25, 2014, theatrical release.
Below find Disney’s complete breakdown of the star-studded cast and the characters each will play. While many were previously announced, new additions to the cast include Lilla Crawford, who will make her feature film debut as Little Red Riding Hood.
Supporting cast includes Tammy Blanchard and Lucy Punch as Cinderella’s spoiled stepsisters, Florinda and Lucinda. Richard Glover will play the Princes’ royal steward; Frances de la Tour portrays the giant; and Simon Russell Beale is the Baker’s father. Joanna Riding plays Cinderella’s late mother, and Little Red Riding Hood’s grandmother is played by Annette Crosbie.
- Meryl Streep portrays the Witch who wishes to reverse a curse so that her beauty may be restored.
- Emily Blunt is the Baker’s Wife, a childless woman who longs to be a mother.
- James Corden plays the role of the Baker, a hard-working man who desperately wants to start a family.
- Anna Kendrick plays Cinderella, who finds herself on a journey of self-discovery.
- Chris Pine portrays Cinderella’s Prince, charming and impossibly handsome, who is on an endless quest to find his bride.
- Johnny Depp will play the wolf, who sets his sights on Little Red Riding Hood.
- Lilla Crawford will play Little Red Riding Hood, a smart and spunky girl who journeys into the woods, finding unexpected adventures along the way.
- Daniel Huttlestone lands the role of Jack, an absentminded and adventurous boy who trades his treasured cow for five magic beans.
- Tracey Ullman joins the cast as Jack’s Mother, a poor and exasperated mom who is overwhelmed, yet fiercely protective of her son.
- Christine Baranski takes on the infamous Stepmother who wishes for riches and grandeur; she’ll do anything to marry off one of her daughters to a prince.
- MacKenzie Mauzy plays Rapunzel, a sheltered young woman who experiences the world beyond her tower for the first time.
- Billy Magnussen is the dashing and eager Prince who courts Rapunzel.