- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Flipboard
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Tumblr
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
Germany’s dramatic extra-time victory over Argentina in the 2014 soccer World Cup was a ratings win for ESPN and ABC.
PHOTOS World Cup Final Highlights: Germany Defeats Argentina in Extra Time
The match averaged a 9.7 overnight rating on the ABC and ESPN networks, the third-highest ever for any World Cup match. ESPN’s coverage peaked with a 14.2 rating, the network said.
Viewership for the Germany vs. Argentina final was 13 percent up on the 8.6 overnight recorded for the 2010 final in South Africa between Spain and the Netherlands. Sunday’s final will go down as the second-most-watched World Cup match on ESPN not featuring the U.S. squad.
PHOTOS World Cup: The Best, Worst and Weirdest Merchandise
The only two other World Cup matches to beat Sunday’s rating were from the 1994 World Cup, which was held in the United States. The final of that tournament, between Brazil and Italy, scored a 12.8 average overnight rating. Team USA’s second round match against Brazil in the same tournament averaged a 10.4 overnight rating.
PHOTOS If the World Cup Were a Movie
Through all 64 matches of the 2014 World Cup, ABC and ESPN networks averaged a 3.1 metered market rating, an increase of 29 percent compared with the 64 matches of the 2010 World Cup.
National viewership figures are expected later Monday.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day