- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
TORONTO – Canadian TV sports channel Sportsnet hit a homer Friday night when Fox’s game 7 World Series clincher for the St. Louis Cardinals became its highest-ever rated Fall Classic broadcast.
Sportsnet grabbed an average of 1.1 million total viewers on Friday night as the Cardinals defeated the Texas Rangers, according to BBM Canada data.
That beat the previous Fall Classic high of 913,000 viewers during Game 4 of the 2004 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and St. Louis Cardinals.
The Canadian audience for the Fox broadcast Friday night peaked at 1.8 million total viewers during the sixth inning.
This year’s World Series on Sportsnet averaged 688,000 total viewers over the championship round’s seven games, up 11 per cent from the 2010 average of 622,000 viewers.
That made the 2011 Fall Classic the third most-watched World Series on Sportsnet, behind the 2009 New York Yankees vs. Philadelphia match-up and its average 749,000 total viewers, and the 2004 Boston vs. St. Louis contest and its 742,000 average viewership.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day