- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
MADRID – Streaming video service Wuaki.TV took a bold step in strengthening its position as the go-to online service for films and TV series in Spain, acquiring exclusive Spanish VOD rights for Netflix original House of Cards, starring Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright.
The Emmy-winning series’ first season will be available starting May 19 in Spain on PCs, tablets, smart phones, video gaming consoles and other devices. The second season will be available on the platform after February 2015.
“The acquisition of the exclusive rights for the first season of House of Cards is a new step on the road to becoming the leader for this new TV format in Europe, where consumption is switching from traditional means to new models where the client has the ability to choose,” Wuaki.tv said.
In Spain, where Netflix has yet to enter the market and other online services have shied away due to unbridled piracy, Wuaki. TV, which boasts 1 million subscribers in Spain and the U.K., has so far cornered the streaming market.
It has grown its subscriber base since its July 2012 acquisition by Japanese technology giant Rakuten.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day