- Share this article on Facebook
- Share this article on Twitter
- Share this article on Email
- Show additional share options
- Share this article on Print
- Share this article on Comment
- Share this article on Whatsapp
- Share this article on Linkedin
- Share this article on Reddit
- Share this article on Pinit
- Share this article on Tumblr
Warner Bros., which initially penciled in the movie for a tentative December 2012 release, announced Thursday that the movie now has an official opening date of June 14, 2013.
The move appears to come as the studio reviews its overall release slate. It had never committed the Superman tale to a specific date in 2012 and now that it also has Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey set to open on Dec. 14, 2012, it decided to space out its tentpoles and move Man of Steel into 2013.
The Warners/Legendary Pictures production starts filming this summer with British actor Henry Cavill playing Clark Kent/Superman. The cast also includes Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner and Russell Crowe.
Charles Roven, Emma Thomas, Christopher Nolan and Deborah Snyder are the producers of the film, which will be distributed worldwide by Warners. The screenplay is by David S. Goyer based on a story by Goyer and Nolan. Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Lloyd Phillips are serving as executive producers.
Sign up for THR news straight to your inbox every day