Oprah Winfrey, Spielbergs Join Clooneys and Katzenbergs in Donating to Gun-Violence Protest "March for Our Lives"

George and Amal Clooney kicked off a slew of star support on Tuesday when they pledged a donation and promised to attend the march.

George and Amal Clooney are the latest stars to use their platform to support March for Our Lives, a demonstration in which students "will take to the streets of Washington, D.C., to demand that their lives and safety become a priority and that we end gun violence and mass shootings in our schools today."

The march was announced Sunday by five teenagers who survived last week's deadly school shooting in Parkland, Fla. 

“Amal and I are so inspired by the courage and eloquence of these young men and women from Stoneman Douglas High School,” George Clooney said in a statement. “Our family will be there on March 24 to stand side by side with this incredible generation of young people from all over the country, and in the name of our children Ella and Alexander, we’re donating 500,000 dollars to help pay for this groundbreaking event. Our children’s lives depend on it.”

Following the Clooneys' donation, Jeffrey and Marilyn Katzenberg said that they would also make a $500,000 donation to the march and join the demonstration.

“Marilyn and I are proud to stand with the brave young leaders from Parkland, Florida, who have taken their pain and grief and turned it into action," Jeffrey Katzenberg said in a statement. "We will join Amal and George Clooney on March 24 to stand alongside these remarkable young people. We are also donating $500,000 to March for Our Lives to support this historic event.”

On Tuesday Oprah Winfrey also promised to make a $500,000 donation to the march. "George and Amal, I couldn’t agree with you more. I am joining forces with you and will match your $500,000 donation to ‘March For Our Lives.’ These inspiring young people remind me of the Freedom Riders of the 60s who also said we’ve had ENOUGH and our voices will be heard," Winfrey wrote on Twitter on Tuesday.

Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw added their own donation to the march on Tuesday, saying in a statement, “The young students in Florida and now across the country are already demonstrating their leadership with a confidence and maturity that belies their ages. Kate and I applaud their efforts to take a stand for the benefit of this and future generations. They are an inspiration to us all, and we are joining in this movement with a donation of $500,000.”

In an appearance on CBS' Face the Nation on Sunday, one of the Florida students, Alex Wind, said this is the first march, but it will not be the last.

"We will be marching for the 17 we lost at our school," Wind said. "We will be marching for everyone we lost at the Newtown Sandy Hook shooting, at Columbine, at Virginia Tech in San Bernardino, Orlando at the Pulse shooting and at Las Vegas. This is only the beginning."

A slew of other stars have used their platforms to amplify the March for Our Lives.

The demonstration is scheduled for March 24, and numerous cities around the U.S. are holding sister marches. Find more information here.

Feb. 20, 11:35 a.m. This story has been updated with the Katzenbergs' donation and support.

Feb. 20, 3:04 p.m. This story has been updated with Oprah Winfrey, Steven Spielberg and Kate Capshaw's donations.

comments powered by Disqus