Grammy Nominations: Interscope Leads Labels in Big 4 Categories
The Universal Music Group-owned label racked up eight noms, including several for the 'Black Panther' soundtrack and music inspired by the film, featuring Kendrick Lamar and SZA's "All the Stars."
Interscope leads all labels in Grammy nominations for the four leading categories — album of the year, record of the year, song of the year and best new artist — thanks to the combined success of a couple runaway hits and the year's biggest soundtracks.
The Universal Music Group-owned label racked up eight noms on Friday when the Grammy nominations were unveiled for the the 2019 awards show. The top-performing release among them was the Black Panther soundtrack and music inspired by the film, featuring Kendrick Lamar and SZA's "All the Stars," which received mentions in the album of the year, record of the year and song of the year categories. Also from a major film, A Star Is Born's "Shallow," performed by Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, received noms for the record of the year and song of the year.
Interscope also picked up two nods for "The Middle," performed by Zedd, Maren Morris and Grey, in the record of the year and song of the year categories, while Ella Mai's "Boo'd Up" landed on the song of the year list, as well. The label was shut out of the best new artist category.
Republic Records received the second-most nominations, between Drake, Post Malone and Greta Van Fleet's combined six. RCA Records received the third-most noms of any label with four overall, thanks to the combined success of Childish Gambino ("This Is America" for record of the year and song of the year) and H.E.R. (for album of the year and best new artist).
Atlantic Records, which garnered a staggering 13 Grammys at last year's award show, was held to just three noms in the top categories: two for Cardi B ("I Like It" for record of the year and Invasion of Privacy for album of the year) and one for Janelle Monae (Dirty Computer for album of the year).
Among the major labels, UMG dominates the pack with 16 nominations overall. Beyond Interscope's eight noms and Republic's six, MCA Nashville and Island both received one apiece. Notably, in the song of the year category, all but two of the nominees — "The Joke" performed by Brandi Carlile and "This Is America" performed by Childish Gambino — are UMG-affiliated.
Otherwise, Warner Music Group racked up eight nominees overall, thanks to Atlantic's three nods, another three for Elektra — all thanks to Carlile — and Warner Music UK's Dua Lipa and Warners' Bebe Rexha in the best new artist category.
Sony Music Entertainment, meanwhile, earned six noms, including RCA's four nods and the mentions for Parkwood Entertainment/Columbia's Chloe X Halle and River House's Luke Combs in the best new artist category.
Notably, two independent labels cracked the big four categories on the best new artists list: Third Man Records with Margo Price and FAMM with Jorja Smith.
A breakdown of the four major categories follows.
Breakdown by Major Label
Universal Music Group: 16
Warner Music Group: 8
Sony Music Entertainment: 6
Breakdown by Record Label
MCA Nashville: 1
River House: 1
Third Man Records: 1
Warner Bros. Records: 1
Warner Music UK: 1
Record of the Year
1. "I Like It" - Cardi B, Bad Bunny & J Balvin - Atlantic (WMG)
2. "The Joke" - Brandi Carlile - Elektra (WMG)
3. "This Is America" - Childish Gambino - RCA (Sony)
4. "God's Plan" Drake - Young Money (UMG)
5. "Shallow" - Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper - Interscope (UMG)
6. "All the Stars" - Kendrick Lamar & SZA - Interscope (UMG)
7. "Rockstar" - Post Malone Featuring 21 Savage - Republic (UMG)
8. "The Middle" - Zedd, Maren Morris & Grey - Interscope (UMG)
Album of the Year
1. Invasion of Privacy - Cardi B - Atlantic (WMG)
2. By the Way, I Forgive You - Brandi Carlile - Elektra (WMG)
3. Scorpion - Drake - Young Money (UMG)
4. H.E.R. H.E.R. - RCA (Sony)
5. Beerbongs & Bentleys - Post Malone - Republic (UMG)
6. Dirty Computer - Janelle Monae - Atlantic (WMG)
7. Golden Hour - Kacey Musgraves - Mca Nashville (UMG)
8. Black Panther: The Album, Music From and Inspired by (Various Artists) - Interscope (UMG)
Song of the Year
1. All the Stars - Interscope (UMG)
2. Boo'd Up - Interscope (UMG)
3. God's Plan - Young Money (UMG)
4. In My Blood - Island (UMG)
5. The Joke - Elektra (WMG)
6. The Middle - Interscope (UMG)
7. Shallow - Interscope (UMG)
8. This Is America - RCA (Sony)
Best New Artist
1. Chloe X Halle - Columbia (Sony)
2. Luke Combs - River House (Sony)
3. Greta Van Fleet - Republic (UMG, Lava)
4. H.E.R. - RCA (Sony)
5. Dua Lipa - Warner Music Uk (WMG)
6. Margo Price - Third Man Records
7. Bebe Rexha - Warner (WMG)
8. Jorja Smith - Famm
This story first appeared on Billboard.com.