Harvey Weinstein Says He's "Devastated" Over Wife Georgina Chapman's Decision to Leave Him
The Marchesa designer stated on Tuesday that she would be separating from the film producer.
Harvey Weinstein is speaking out after his wife, Marchesa fashion designer Georgina Chapman, announced Tuesday that she would be leaving him amid sexual harassment and assault allegations.
"I am profoundly devastated," Weinstein told Page Six. "I have lost my wife and kids, whom I love more than anything else."
Chapman said in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter: "My heart breaks for all the women who have suffered tremendous pain because of these unforgivable actions. I have chosen to leave my husband. Caring for my young children is my first priority and I ask the media for privacy at this time."
The couple married on Dec. 15, 2007, and have two children together, daughter India Pearl, 7, and son Dashiell, 4.
"I fully support her decision," Weinstein continued to tell Page Six. "I didn't stand in Georgina’s way when we discussed a separation, I encouraged her to do what was in her heart. I know she has to do what is best for the children, for herself and her business, she employs 130 people." Following the New York Times exposé, which alleged "decades of sexual harassment" by Weinstein, fashion insiders wondered how the news would impact Marchesa, the evening and bridal wear label co-founded by Chapman and former model Keren Craig in 2004.
Added Weinstein: "I don’t want her or my children to be hurt any more than they already have. I truly love Georgina, and I hope one day we can reconcile, although right now I don’t know if that could possibly happen."
Weinstein previously said that his wife was standing by him after the Times' exposé was published.
"She stands 100 percent behind me. Georgina and I have talked about this at length," Weinstein told Page Six at the time. "We went out with [attorney] Lisa Bloom last night when we knew the article was coming out. Georgina will be with Lisa and others kicking my ass to be a better human being and to apologize to people for my bad behavior, to say I’m sorry, and to absolutely mean it."
Hours before Chapman made the announcement of her decision, several more women — including Gwyneth Paltrow and Angelina Jolie — spoke on the record about facing sexual harassment from Weinstein after two bombshell investigative reports by The New York Times and The New Yorker detailed numerous sexual assault and rape allegations leveled against the movie mogul.
Paltrow recalled being in fear of losing a role after rejecting sexual advances from Weinstein early in her career, and Jolie told the Times that she had a "bad experience with Harvey Weinstein in my youth, and as a result, chose never to work with him again and warn others when they did."
On Wednesday, Cara Delevingne also came forward with her own "terrifying" experience with Weinstein.
The Suicide Squad actress released a statement via Instagram that echoed earlier accounts, recalling a time when Weinstein used his power over young actresses to hold "auditions" in his hotel room. She said that Weinstein tried to kiss her on the lips as he blocked the door when she tried to leave, but she managed to stop him.
"I want women and girls to know that being harassed or abused or raped is NEVER their fault and not talking about it will always cause more damage than speaking the truth. I am relieved to be able to share this ... I actually feel better and I'm proud of the women who are brave enough to speak ... this isn't easy but there are strength in our numbers," Delevingne wrote in a second Instagram post. "As I said, this is only the beginning. In every industry and especially in Hollywood, men abuse their power using fear and get away with it. This must stop. The more we talk about it, the less power we give them."