Only helmers make Venice cut
EmptyFor the first time in a quarter-century, the main jury for the Venice Film Festival will be made up entirely of directors, including veteran filmmaker Paul Verhoeven and Kiwi Oscar winner Jane Campion, organizers said (HR 7/16).
Also on the jury are "Babel" director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu; Turkey-born, Rome-based Ferzan Ozpetek ("Saturno Conterno"); and Emanuele Crialese, who won a Silver Lion last year at Venice for "Golden Door."
As previously announced, the head of the jury is two-time Golden Lion winner Zhang Yimou.
All the jury members have strong ties to the venerable Venice festival, set for Aug. 29-Sept. 8.
Venice organizers said Friday that they selected a jury composed of directors to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the Venice Film Festival. It is the first time the festival has had an all-director jury since 1982, the festival's 50th anniversary.
Though this is the 64th edition of the festival, it is the 75th anniversary of the first Venice event in 1932. Several festivals were skipped because of World War II, budgetary problems and the 1968 student riots that swept Europe.